Dr. Matthew Karen is a leading Board Certified facial plastic surgeon in Virginia with an office in Winchester, Virginia. Complimentary consultations are offered at Exclusively Faces Cosmetic Surgery and Medispa. Dr. Karen sees patients from Winchester, Frederick County, Warren County, Shenandoah County, Clarke County, Loudoun County, Fairfax County and Fairfax City and the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia including Martinsburg and Charles Town.
Dr. Karen has earned the trust and respect in both his patients and medical community by his education, excellence in surgical skills, and his warm demeanor. He has spent his entire career operating on and evaluating the face, head and neck. This training provides him with unique expertise in treating cosmetic, functional and reconstructive needs of the nose, ears and face.
Dr. Karen has a large number of satisfied patients from Virginia, Maryland, and many other states who have received excellent aesthetic results on a number of cosmetic surgical and non-surgical procedures. Dr. Karen is particularly adept at facial enhancement procedures including facelifts, eyelid lifts, rhinoplasty (nose jobs), and a variety of other procedures including non-surgical procedures designed to let your beauty blossom.
Dr. Karen has been practicing in the Winchester area since 2001 and is an active member of the Winchester Medical Staff. Dr. Karen is committed to medical and aesthetic surgical excellence and stays on the forefront of plastic surgery education and skills development. He allocates time for himself and his professional staff to attend educational conferences and training. Dr. Karen pays careful attention to remaining current with research and studies in professional journals and on the latest cosmetic surgical techniques and procedures. Dr. Karen has also given multiple lectures and discussions on all facets of Facial Cosmetic Surgery. Dr. Karen has published numerous articles and has coauthored book chapters on various topics on Facial Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Karen evaluates all services offered in Exclusively Faces MediSpa for their efficacy and results and personally supervises all of the MediSpa staff.
Dr. Matthew Karen began his higher education in New York, receiving his BA from Binghamton University. He then completed his medical degree at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York. After graduating, Dr. Karen spent two years as a surgical resident and then went on to complete a four-year Otolaryngology (ENT) residency at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City.
Upon completion of his residency Dr. Karen was accepted to a highly competitive Fellowship under the tutelage of Dr. Fred Stucker, a world-renowned Rhinoplasty and Facial Plastic Surgeon.
Dr. Karen is board certified in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, receiving his certification from the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He is also board certified in Otolaryngology.
Visit our facial plastic / cosmetic surgery office in Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia and accessible to residents of Maryland and West Virginia.
July 2000 – June 2001: Fellowship American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Preceptor, Dr. Fred Stucker, Chairman LSU Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
July 1995 – June 1999: Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
Columbia – Presbyterian Medical Center Residency.
July 1994 – June 1995: Department Of Surgery of Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center
June 1993 – June 1994: Department of Surgery
Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center Internship
May 1993: State University of New York Health Science Center at Syracuse College Of Medicine, Syracuse, NY
Doctor of Medicine
Rank: Upper 10% (Class #148)
May 1989: Binghamton University, Binghamton NY
Bachelor of Arts
Dr. Matthew Karen was awarded:
- Chemistry, History Minor
- “Outstanding Academic Performance”
- June 2003: Credentials/Licensure American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- April 2000: American Board of Otolaryngology
- April 24, 25, 1998: Advanced Functional Endoscopic sinus surgery. Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital
- 1997: The Course in Basic Microvascular Surgery Department of Orthopedics. Columbia University
- 1994: Diplomat of National Board of Medical Examiners
Publications, Book Chapters
- Karen, M., Close, L. G. Mass in the Neck, Essentials of Head and Neck Oncology, Close, Laron, Shah. (Ed’s) New York, – Theme Publishers, 1997
- Karen, M. Krespi Y, Laser Ablation of the Lingual Tonsils, Office Based Surgery of the Head and Neck, Krespi Y (Ed) New York, Lippincott. – Raven Publishers 1997
- Karen, M Chang E. Keen, M. Auricular Composite Grafting To Repair Nasal Vestibular Stenosis. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 2001; 122: 529-32 Mar 2001
- Honrado, Carlo P. MD, Lam, Samuel M, MD, Karen, Mathew MD. Bilateral Submandibular gland infection presenting as Ludwig’s Angina: First report of a case. Ear, Nose and Throat Journal . . Vol 80, Number 4 217-223 April 2001
- Stucker, F. Lian T., Karen M. Management of Animal Bites of the Head and Neck. Submitted to Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery, April 2001
- Karen, M., Lian T., Stucker,F. The use of Percutaneous Sutures for Graft Fixation in Rhinoplasty. Submitted to Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. April 2001.
- Stucker, F., Karen M. Lian, T. Use of Conchal Cartilage Grafts for the Treatment of the Keel Nose. Submitted to Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery . April 2001.
Oral: Management of the Head and Neck Non-melanoma Cutaneous Malignancy
Utilizing Frozen Sections Analysis presented at the AAFPRS section of COSM May 13, 2001
Oral: The Use of Percutaneous Sutures for Graft Fixation in Rhinoplasty
To be presented at the AAFPRS Section of COSM May 12, 2001. Authors: Matthew Karen, MD. Timothy Lian, MD And Fred Stucker, MD
Oral : Auricular Composite Grafting to Repair Nasal Vestibular Stenosis.
Presented at the annual Meeting of the American
Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. San Antonio, Texas. September 16, 1998 Authors Monte Keen. MD
Oral : Functional Repair of Ptosis: A 10 year review of the Columbia
Presbyterian Facial Plastic Experience (1987 — 1997) Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology : head and Neck Surgery, San Francisco, CA. September 7, 1997. Authors Matthew E. Karen, MD; Monte Keen. MD.
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, 2003
- American Academy of Facial Plastics / And Reconstructive Surgery, 1999 to present
- American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 1989 to present
- Exclusively Faces Cosmetic Surgery and Medispa, Medical Director
- Attending Surgeon: Winchester Medical Center
- Housestaff Financial Research Award 1998 Alpha Omega Alpha — National
Medical Honor Society
- 1992 Letter of Commendation
- Dean of the College of Medicine – 1990
Letter of Commendation
- Dean of Student Affairs
- 1990 Letter of Commendation
- Associate Dean of Curriculum
- Sit on the board of the Laurel Center
- Committee member at Winchester Country Club
- Contributor and participant in the Walk For Women annual event each September.