Getting a “nose job,” otherwise known as rhinoplasty, is a major decision. You are thinking about a cosmetic surgery procedure that will dramatically alter the appearance of your face. No matter what reason you have for wanting rhinoplasty — correcting a previously broken nose, giving you the look you’ve always wanted, or some other personal reason — you want to go into the procedure knowing as much as possible beforehand. Here is a list of questions you will want to ask your cosmetic surgeon when thinking about rhinoplasty.
Questions for Your Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- Am I a good candidate for a rhinoplasty procedure?
- How much experience do you have in performing rhinoplasties?
- Have you performed rhinoplasties on patients of my ethnicity before?
- Where did you receive your training?
- Are you currently licensed and board-certified?
- How much of your practice is related to facial surgeries?
- What percentage of your patients are pleased with the results?
- What is your policy on revisions or follow-up surgeries if a patient is dissatisfied?
- How often do your patients require follow-up surgeries?
- What anesthetics do you use for rhinoplasties?
- Are there any risks involved with those anesthetics?
- What are the risks of rhinoplasty?
- Where will the procedure be performed?
- Are there emergency protocols in place in case there are any complications with my surgery?
- What results can I expect from rhinoplasty?
- How long does it take to heal after the surgery?
- Can I choose the type of nose that I want and expect those results?
- How will I need to alter my lifestyle, work routine and other habits during the healing period after surgery?
- Are there any dietary restrictions before or after the surgery?
- (If you use prescription medications), will these medications react adversely with the anesthetics?
- Are there hidden charges I will be expected to cover in addition to the surgery, such as lab work, medications or post-rhinoplasty checkups?
What to Look for in a Rhinoplasty Surgeon’s Responses
In addition to becoming more educated about rhinoplasty and your surgeon’s experience, you should ask questions like the ones above to see whether you have a good rapport with the surgeon. You want to be comfortable with the surgeon who is performing such an important procedure on you. Here are some things to look for in your surgeon’s responses:
Open Communication: You will want your plastic surgeon to listen to your goals and develop a treatment and procedure plan tailored to your desires for rhinoplasty. If the surgeon’s answers leave you feeling confused or uncertain, ask follow-up questions or seek a second opinion. Likewise, you want a surgeon who will be courageous enough to be brutally honest with you. If the surgeon thinks the nose that you want is not right for your facial shape, wouldn’t you want to know that? Look for open and honest communication with your potential rhinoplasty surgeon.
Doctor’s Experience: The more experience a rhinoplasty surgeon has, the better he or she is at performing future surgeries. You should always look for a doctor with the proper training and certification, but also for one who has a lot of experience with similar surgeries.
Talented Skill Set: It’s best to have a well-rounded rhinoplasty surgeon who has experience in a variety of related surgeries, such as ethnic rhinoplasties and follow-up surgeries. Each type requires different skills to achieve the best results. Ethnic rhinoplasties can be very different from Caucasian rhinoplasties, so you want a surgeon who can handle your specific desires and goals.
Licensing and Certification: A guaranteed way to check whether a rhinoplasty surgeon’s skills and experience match up with their claims is to do some research on them. Rhinoplasty certification is a lengthy process that is reviewed by an authoritative board. This is easy to verify with some online research, so you can be comfortable knowing that your rhinoplasty surgeon is up to the challenge of operating successfully on your nose!
Exclusively Faces Cosmetic Surgery and MediSpa is ready to answer any of your questions about rhinoplasty. If you’re ready to take the next step on the road to a “new you,” you can easily book an appointment online to come in for a consultation with us.