The season is changing… and with it, your hair care routine should be changing, as well. As we transition from summer’s heat and humidity to fall’s cooler temperatures, here are a few steps you can take to preserve those luscious locks in all their splendor.
Our Tips for Autumn Hair Care
- Take a break from ponytails and tight buns. There’s certainly nothing wrong with putting your hair up sometimes, especially when you’re trying to keep cool during the dog days of summer. However, wearing your hair in these tight styles day after day can actually put stress on your follicles, and over time may contribute to hair loss. This risk is heightened during the cooler weather. Take a break from these hairstyles, at least until we have warm weather again.
- Make an appointment with your stylist. It’s always a good idea to get a trim every eight to 10 weeks, which helps you get rid of split ends and protect your hair from lasting damage. This is especially critical as we enter autumn. Give your hair some TLC after those hot summer days… and ask your stylist for individualized tips on choosing the best fall style.
- Keep your hair moist. Another recommendation is to give your hair a little extra moisturizing. There are a couple of ways to do this. One is to use a hair mask product once every week or two. An alternative is to plan for a deep conditioning once or twice a month.
- Avoid heat appliances. Do you style your hair with heat appliances, such as curling irons or blow dryers? These appliances can actually be damaging to your hair, especially in the fall and winter, when cold weather makes your hair especially brittle. Seek some new ways of styling your hair, minus heat. Ask your stylist for specifics.
- Don’t go outside with wet hair. Following a shower, make sure you give your hair time to dry before you head outside, especially once the temperature gets brisk. The combination of wet hair and cool temperatures can cause significant breakage. The safest way to dry your hair: Gently dab it dry with a towel, then give it a few minutes to air dry.
- Verify that you’re using the right shampoo and conditioner. It’s hard to find the right hair care products sometimes! What you want is something that gets rid of all the dirt and sweat you accumulate throughout the day, but not something that eliminates all your hair’s natural, protective oil. Again, it’s wise to ask your stylist to recommend products that are specifically tailored to your hair needs.
With these basic tips, you’re ready to hold your head high, throughout the autumn and beyond!
If you have any further questions or want to talk with us about the available options for hair restoration, please don’t hesitate to contact Exclusively Faces! Reach out at your next convenience. We’d love to speak with you more about ways to look and feel like the best version of yourself.