Exclusively Faces Cosmetic Surgery
Matthew Karen, MD F.A.C.S.
Cosmetic Surgery located in Winchester, VA
You fondly recall that full head of hair from the days of your youth, but why just remember when you could regain that hair again? An outpatient procedure, Dr. Matthew Karen suggests hair restoration to those wanting to reclaim a fuller head of hair. Exclusively Faces, Cosmetic Surgery of Winchester, Virginia offers cutting-edge surgical precision in a relaxed setting. If you’re considering undergoing hair restoration, call to schedule an appointment with Dr. Karen today.
How do KeraLase treatments work?
Each treatment session will begin with a scalp treatment using the Lutronic LaseMD or Ultra, followed immediately by the application of the KeraFactor serum. There are two recommended courses of treatment options, your physician will work with you to determine which option is best for you:
- 1 treatment session every 2 weeks for 12 weeks (6 total treatments). You may also use the KeraFactor Shampoo at home each day between treatments.
- 1 treatment session every month for 3 months (3 total treatments) AND using the KeraFactorShampoo at home, morning and evening, each day between treatments.
What results should I expect from KeraLase?
While everyone is different, improvement in scalp health and an increase in the appearance of thicker, healthier hair may be visible within 3 months when patients follow the treatment protocol as prescribed. Most patients see even more improvement over the next 2-4 months. We cannot guarantee a response for ALL patients.
Who is a good candidate for KeraLase treatments?
Concerns over hair loss have increased in recent years due to the frequent use of “selfies” and social media apps. Men and women of all ages with thinning hair can benefit from KeraLase treatments. Who is not a good candidate for KeraLase treatments?
- People who currently have or have been diagnosed with skin cancer should not use KeraFactorproducts without their physician’s approval.
- People with an active infection should not be treated with KeraFactor products.
- People who experience an allergic reaction to KeraFactor products should discontinue use immediately and be examined by a dermatologist.
Hair Restoration Q&A
What is the procedure like?
A hair restoration is a minimally invasive surgery that moves the hair on another part of the body to the head in order to fill an area with thin or no hair. Hair restoration involves removing punch grafts from the hair-bearing scalp or other donor area and cutting it into thinner pieces to be used as grafts.
The grafts are then relocated to the bald or thinning part of the scalp. Grafts are made in different shapes and sizes and usually contain about 10-15 hairs. To maintain healthy circulation in the scalp, grafts are placed about one-eighth of an inch apart from one another.
What is a NeoGraft?
NeoGraft is a new automated hair restoration system which facilitates the harvesting of follicles during a Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) hair restoration, thereby dramatically improving the accuracy and speed over previously used manual extraction instruments.
Dr. Karen uses NeoGrafts as they yield a 95% regrowth in comparison to the 65% regrowth previously seen in traditional hair restoration.
To many, a full head of hair represents attractiveness and desirability both personally and professionally. For this reason, it is vital to understand what effects a hair restoration procedure can have on your daily interactions with people and in all other aspects of your life. Hair Restoration should be unnoticeable to all but those you tell.
The facts are that approximately 50 million men and approximately 30 million women suffer from male/female pattern baldness or thinning hair. Many potential patients shy-away from (or are not candidates for) the traditional “strip method” of hair replacement because of the slow recovery time, the loss of feeling at the incision site, the tiny linear scar on the back of the head, or the amount of post-operative pain involved.
After much research, we have chosen to offer the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) method utilizing the NeoGraft Automated Hair Transplantation system. The FUE method of hair transplantation removes individual hair follicles from the scalp in their naturally occurring groupings of about 1-4 hairs and are then placed in the areas of the scalp where balding has occurred.
Reasons Why The NeoGraft Procedure Is The Solution:
- It is the least invasive procedure for hair transplantation
- Patients who receive the NeoGraft procedure feel little to no discomfort
- No stitches or staples are used in the NeoGraft procedure
- No unsightly linear scar
- Flexibility for any hair style of your choice, short or long
- Shorter recovery time – patients can typically go back to work the next day
- Fewer restrictions on your normal daily activities
- Natural looking results
Why Choose the NeoGraft Procedure?
The NeoGraft system is the first and only FDA cleared follicular unit harvesting and implantation system. The NeoGraft system delivers automation of the FUE technique, the most advanced technique in the hair transplant industry.
This revolutionary system uses pneumatic controls to precisely extract complete individual hair follicles which can be immediately transplanted to the selected areas of the scalp. The NeoGraft automated hair transplantation system is the only complete harvesting system on the market and has the only ‘NO TOUCH’ implantation technology.
Hair Restoration with NeoGraft technology provides absolute exact harvesting and placement, delivering repeatable results. With NeoGraft’s technology, each follicle is removed individually while the patient is comfortable. A natural looking head of hair is created with this minimally-invasive procedure.
Hair loss can be a very emotional part of the natural aging process and seeking ways to curb this process used to be a challenge. NeoGraft’s advanced technology offers a discrete solution to hair loss, allowing patients to achieve natural looking results with no linear scar, minimal downtime and a shorter recovery period. Hair restoration with the NeoGraft procedure is unnoticeable, making it your secret to tell.
- Superior Results – More natural looking hair, short or long for both men and women.
- Advanced Technology – Automated technology, least invasive procedure for hair transplantation.
- Gentle – Little to no discomfort. No scalpel incision, no staples, no linear scar.
- Effective – Less activity restrictions than traditional strip methods.
- Discrete – Patients can typically go back to work the next day.
- Affordable – We have programs available to meet your exact needs.
Benefits of the FUE Method:
- FUE hair transplant is a very safe, minimally invasive, relatively minor procedure
- Minimal bleeding and fewer complications than with the “strip” method
- The procedure is performed with local anesthetic and no intravenous or intra-muscular sedation is required
- Patients experience minimal discomfort, no scalpel incision, no sutures, no linear scar and quick recovery times
- And Many More!
The NeoGraft Automated FUE is also a useful procedure to fix visible linear scars from previous “strip” surgeries. FUE can be used to ‘fill in’ or camouflage those old scars by transplanting new follicles into the area.
Do I have to treat my restored hair differently than my normal hair?
No. Once hair is restored, it acts like the rest of the hair on your body. If you follow the aftercare instructions Dr. Karen gives you, your new hair will respond just like the rest of your normal hair.
Is a hair restoration permanent?
Yes, hair restorations are permanent. When considering this procedure, remember that it is a permanent solution to hair restoration and rejuvenation.
What is the recovery like for hair restoration?
A minimally invasive surgery that does not require incisions or stitches, the recovery process for hair restoration is quick. However, aching, throbbing, and tightness are still likely after the procedure. Patients may gently wash their hair within two days after surgery. Dr. Karen suggests avoiding strenuous activity, or anything that vastly increases blood flow, for up to 10 days after surgery.
While some patients’ procedures will be completed in one day, others may require several surgical sessions depending on the desired level of fullness the patient is attempting to achieve. In the latter case, a healing interval of several months is usually recommended between sessions. This means that it may take up to two years to attain the goals set forth during the beginning of this process.
It should be noted that hair often also falls out in the weeks following the procedure. This is normal and after the hair falls out, it will take another five to six weeks for the hair to resume growth.
If you’re looking to restore your hair to its former fullness, call to schedule an appointment with Dr. Karen today.